With Mother’s Day fast approaching, it is important to treat the most special women in our life with a thoughtful Mother’s Day gift. However, our gift does not always have to be bought because it can also be made. In that way, it will be more personalized and you can add your own touch of love into it. If you are looking for a DIY gift idea for Mother’s Day, why not consider making your mom a cake for her special day with these Mother’s Day cake ideas?
Cakes are perfect for any type of celebration, and what better gift idea than to make a cake at home for mom? Check out the five Mother’s Day cake ideas we recommend, together with the ingredients and recipes!
Credit: Monika Grabkowska / Unsplash
Blueberry cheesecake is a classic and no-brainer cake that everyone loves. The fruity flavor of the blueberry just perfectly complements the creamy cheesecake and the sweet and savory flavor of the graham crust. It’s very easy to make blueberry cheesecake at home, which also doubles as a good and thoughtful Mother’s Day gift to give the most special women in your life!
(yields 8 servings)
Cream cheese filling
- 250 grams cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Ready-made blueberry filling
- For the graham crust: Mix the crushed graham crackers, melted butter, and white sugar together in a bowl. Once well combined, transfer the mixture to a round springform pan and pat it down evenly, then refrigerate to let it chill and cool.
- For the cream cheese filling: Beat the cream cheese and sugar together in a large bowl using a hand mixer or electric stand mixer. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the heavy cream, lemon juice, and flour. Mix all together until well combined.
- Pour the cream cheese filling over the chilled graham crust. Bake in a water bath at 204°C for 10 minutes. Lower the heat of the oven to 162°C, and bake for another 30-40 minutes.
- Turn off the oven, and leave the cheesecake inside for another 1 hour. After this, take the cake outside the oven and allow it to cool completely.
- Refrigerate the cheesecake for at least 4 hours and allow it to cool in the refrigerator.
- Top the cheesecake with blueberry filling, serve, and enjoy!
Moist Chocolate Cake
Credit: Polina Tankilevitch / Pexels
Nothing beats a classic moist chocolate cake as a Mother’s Day cake idea to give to your mom this Mother’s Day. Moist chocolate cakes are not only very decadent and rich, but it is also very sinful and delicious as well. Depending on how it is made and the type and quality of ingredients, chocolate cakes do not have to be overly sweet. Make sure to follow our moist chocolate cake recipe to make your mom happy this Mother’s Day!
(yields 8-16 servings)
- 440 grams plain flour
- 600 grams white sugar
- 90 grams cocoa powder
- 4 grams baking powder
- 6 grams baking soda
- 2 grams salt
- 180 grams eggs
- 230 grams vegetable oil
- 450 grams milk
- 440 grams heavy cream
- 90 grams milk
- 440 grams 70% dark chocolate
- 90 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
Dulce de Leche filling
- 1 can (375 grams) condensed milk
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
For the chocolate cake:
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Grease the bottom and sides of the circular cake pan with oil. Dust with some flour and shake around until evenly coated around the edges.
- In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients—flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt—until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients—eggs, vegetable oil, and milk—until well combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture in three batches. Mix the batter using a spatula in one direction until well combined. Repeat until all the wet mixture has been incorporated to turn into a smooth chocolate batter.
- Pour the smooth batter into the round cake pan, and bake for around 35-40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool inside the oven for around 15 minutes.
- While still hot and fresh, take out the cake from the oven and place a plate on top of the cake. Turn it around to completely remove the cake from the pan.
- Put the cake in the refrigerator and let it cool. Slice the cake in a crosswise direction to create two cake layers.
For the ganache:
- Mix the heavy cream and 90g milk in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the cream mixture and dark chocolate. Place the chocolate into a large bowl, and transfer the hot cream mixture into the bowl. Stir until the chocolate has melted and combine until smooth.
- Add the butter, and stir until fully combined.
- Place the chocolate ganache into the refrigerator or chiller.
For the dulce de leche filling:
- Boil 5 liters of water.
- Soak the canned condensed milk into the boiling water, and leave to cook for 4 hours. Cool down completely.
- Pour the condensed milk into a bowl, and mix it with sea salt.
To assemble the cake:
- Place one layer of the sliced chocolate cake on a cake stand or a circular cardboard.
- Layer and spread the cake with ganache and dulce de leche filling, then put the other layer of chocolate cake on top.
- Coat the entire chocolate cake from top to sides with the remaining chocolate ganache. You can also decorate your cake using a pastry bag to create swirls.
- Chill in the refrigerator.
- Serve and enjoy!
Red Velvet Cake
A good old red velvet cake is one of the perfect Mother’s Day cake ideas because not only is it very beautiful and aesthetically pleasing, but the red color of the cake screams Mother’s Day celebration. If you’re looking for a gift idea in time for Mother’s Day, consider baking her a red velvet cake yourself too!
(yields 8-16 servings)
Red velvet cake
- 3 ⅓ cups (383 grams) cake flour
- 3 tablespoons (22.5 grams) unsweetened dark cocoa powder (22 to 24%), sifted
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature (but still firm)
- 1 ½ cups (240 grams) buttermilk
- 2 ¼ cups (450 grams) white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 6 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
Cream cheese icing
- 4 (225 grams) packages of cream cheese, broken into large chunks at room temperature (but still firm)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (118 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
For the red velvet cake:
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Grease and flour two round cake pans, and line with parchment paper.
- Whisk together cake flour and salt until well combined, then set aside.
- Cream the butter in a stand mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy for around 4-5 minutes. Then add the eggs one at a time and beat until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cocoa powder and red food coloring. With the stand mixer on low speed, pour the mixture into the batter until well combined.
- In another small bowl, mix the vanilla and buttermilk together. Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk mixture. Beat until the ingredients are well incorporated, but be careful not to overmix.
- In another small bowl, mix together the cider vinegar and baking soda. Carefully add this mixture into the stand mixer at low speed. Make sure that all ingredients are blended well and that the batter is smooth.
- After this, pour the cake batter into the prepared round cake pans. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for around 30 minutes, and transfer to a rack to completely cool.
For the cream cheese icing:
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese at low speed until smooth for about 2 minutes.
- Then, add the vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
- With the mixer running at low speed, add the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time until smooth but not creamy. Be careful not to overbeat.
To assemble the cake:
- Place one layer of the red velvet cake on a cake stand or a circular cardboard.
- Layer and spread the cake with cream cheese icing, then put the other layer of red velvet cake on top.
- After this, once layered, coat the entire cake with cream cheese icing using a spatula.
- Using a pastry bag, decorate the red velvet cake with swirls of cream cheese frosting.
- Chill in the refrigerator.
- Serve and enjoy!
Show Your Love to Mom with these Easy-to-Make Mother’s Day Cake Ideas
These three Mother’s Day cake ideas will surely make your yearly Mother’s Day celebration more special and thoughtful. Not only will your mom appreciate the gesture, but making a cake at home also doubles as good family quality time as well! Make your own cake for Mother’s Day today! All of these cake ingredients and more are available on Shopee Mart.
Also, don’t forget to check out Mother’s Day gift ideas if you’re looking for more ways to surprise your mom on her special day! If you’re planning to celebrate your mom’s special day at home, also read through Mother’s Day celebrations to get ideas on how you can have the best and most intimate day with your family!